[lbo-talk] Contemporary forms of female self-objectification

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Sep 20 09:09:23 PDT 2005

>What are stereotypical examples of Black men as puritans and sexless ?

Are there any? Isn't it just the opposite?

Doug

^^^ I'm thinking that when generalizations are made about American sexual representations , race throws a kind of kink into the "curves". So that" that old American pairing of puritanism and prurience ... veer(ing) from extreme to extreme, Billy Graham/Hugh Hefner, Pat Robertson/Jenna Jameson " has a subpart where Black men don't veer from extreme to extreme but are left on one extreme only.

Often in generalizing about America, Black people throw off the pattern when they are included.

I'm not really saying the sexual portrayl of Black people is bad. I'm just throwing out here what does black/white thing mean for the analysis of American sexuality ?

Charles