[lbo-talk] Fed kicks it up another quarter

Mark S bunyak1 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 20 11:58:44 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

>[The tone of this is a little on the hawkish side. For some inexplicable
>reason, some market types had thought the Fed would pause. They're wrong.]
>
><http://www.federalreserve.gov/BoardDocs/Press/monetary/2005/20050920/default.htm>
>
>September 20, 2005
>
>For immediate release
>
>The Federal Open Market Committee decided today to raise its target for the
>federal funds rate by 25 basis points to 3-3/4 percent.

[snip]

>The Committee perceives that, with appropriate monetary policy action, the
>upside and downside risks to the attainment of both sustainable growth and
>price stability should be kept roughly equal. With underlying inflation
>expected to be contained, the Committee believes that policy accommodation
>can be removed at a pace that is likely to be measured. Nonetheless, the
>Committee will respond to changes in economic prospects as needed to
>fulfill its obligation to maintain price stability.

Some analysts think that the Fed has its eye on potential labor market tightening and concomitant wage gains in 2006 and 2007. Given the final sentence above, this opinion makes sense to me.

M.

_________________________________________________________________ Designer Mail isn't just fun to send, it's fun to receive. Use special stationery, fonts and colors. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.