[lbo-talk] State vs. federal sentencing

Nick Woomer nwoomer at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 03:06:47 PDT 2005

Federal sentencing is done according to the federal sentencing guidelines (http://www.ussc.gov/2004guid/tabcon04_1.htm). Basically, the feds have developed a grid system where the sentencing range is the intersection between a defendant's "criminal history score" and "offense level." Under such a system, there is very little discretion; so much of the lawyering that takes place in the federal system at the sentencing level involves trying to manipulate where a defendant appears on the sentencing grid. The actual grid is available here: http://www.ussc.gov/2004guid/5a.htm (it's really quite a sight to see...)

Not surprisingly,this beast is extremely complex. I was a summer law clerk at a federal public defender's office two years ago, and spent the better part of my time there running the guidelines on our clients and double-checking attorneys' calculations on what our clients should get. As I said, a lot of what attorneys who represent criminal defendants in the federal system do is wrangle with prosecutors about what the appropriate way to apply the guidelines is (e.g. "this prior conviction should raise his criminal history score this much; not that much.")

As for why Kozlowski was tried in state court but not federal, like the others -- I frankly don't know. Most criminal defendants in the federal system are charged with crimes that occurred on federal land or implicate the commerce clause somehow (in practice, this usually means the charge involves guns or drugs). When there's overlapping jurisdiction, I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not sure how things get worked out.

-N

___________________ woomer.blogspot.com