[lbo-talk] Kanye West

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Sep 21 16:58:31 PDT 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 21:48:32 +0000 "Celi Ben" <cpthron at hotmail.com> writes:

> Seizing onto the Berkeley thing - look at this political science
> professor
> at UC Berkeley. I had heard that the poli sci department was far
> more
> centrist than outsiders might imagine, and that only english and
> geography
> and rhetoric have more of a leftist slant. But I was glancing at a
> Berkeley
> blog frequented by undergraduates with a fraternity center/right
> perspective
> (they were recently making fun of affirmative action/small black
> freshman
> class and thought the school's reaction to a BB gun hazing
> incident/drunk
> driving incident were excessive) and one writer was saying that
> James Gregor
> had finally crossed the line in his rant about uptight asians and
> asian
> women and sex. It turns out as a comparative fascologist, he has a
> long
> record of eugenics support http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gregor

Concerning A. James Gregor, back in the '60s he wrote *A Survey of Marxism: Problems in Philosophy and the Theory of History* which is a reasonably competent survey exposition of Marxist thought with particular emphasis on the intellectual development of Marx & Engels and on Soviet philosophy. The book cover's profile of Gregor mentions that he had published articles in Science & Society amongst other places which is most curious given his far right associations. He is also described as having served as a lecturer on Marxism for the Peace Corps. Apparently this guy has always had interesting associations.