[lbo-talk] trains vs. planes redux

John Mage jmage at panix.com
Thu Sep 22 08:08:24 PDT 2005

Wojtsek posted a link to a BBC piece on trains v. planes that included this line:

> Unlike rail operators, airlines are not limited to a fixed track, so

> the skies have vastly more capacity than Britain's clogged train

> network.

The first "New Russian" joke I ever heard:

New Russian, drunk, gets on the trolley bus (for USers - an electric bus that gets power from overhead wires) and asks the driver to leave him off at his house, giving him his address. The driver says that he can't, the address is not where the wires go. New Russian gives the driver 5000 rubles, and says "take me home." The driver thinks 5000 is 5000, the battery should make it there easily, and when he gets near leaves the wires and goes into the New Russian's street. The pavement is totally smashed up and there's a big trench, so the driver stops and says this is as close as I can get - by the way, why happened here? The New Russian says - last night I took the subway home.

john mage