[lbo-talk] Re: Antifa Critique of German "Left Party"

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 08:22:21 PDT 2005

Dennis Redmond writes:

>>Lafontaine is a racist? Where? When? Cite evidence,
please<<

I suspect you read the article too hastily. Otherwise the following passage should have jumped out at you (the Phase 2 article in German gives the source as Lafontaine's newest book, Politik fuer Alle):

>>Even disregarding his notorious statement that
Germans should be defended against “Foreign workers [“Fremdarbeiter,” an infamous use of Nazi jargon – translator] who take their jobs away,” Lafontaine’s open racism is easily proved on the basis of his numerous published works. Lafontaine whispers in his books about “forced immigration,” which is “promoted solely by the upper 10,000 members of society.” Lafontaine advocates the withdrawal of German citizenship for all those who don’t “speak the German language, pay taxes according to their abilities and finance the welfare state.” He refers to the Germans as a community determined by fate [“Schicksalsgemeinschaft” – translator], and wrings his hands concerning the “cultural identity of Europe at the end of the century.” A particular horror scenario preoccupies Lafontaine as he declares, thunderstruck, “The land of immigration, the USA, will no longer have a white majority in fifty years.”<<

Lafontaine's "Fremdarbeiter" talk was a huge scandal on the Left here, and many of the more reasonable PDS functionaries (such as Petra Pau) saw themselves forced to distance themselves from Lafontaine for this kind of racist bile.

Of course, none of this moved the PDS to actually remove such an obvious racist from the top spot on their electoral list, primarily because they most likely wouldn't have achieved 8,7 percent of votes without him.