[lbo-talk] [Fwd: [Marxism] U.S. emergency plans: a disaster waiting to happen]

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Sep 23 08:49:15 PDT 2005

Carrol:
> I'm forwarding this for two reasons. It is a fine analysis of what is
> going on in Texas _now_. But _also_, it bears directly on what I assume
> is the key question in respect to global warming: Is it possible under
> capitalism to achieve the degree of uniformity worldwide that will allow
> the relevant technology to be put to use on a global scale? I assume it
> is not. Global warming is a "disaster waiting to happen" which _will_
> happen under capitalism.

A few observations.

1. The attachment is indeed a fine analysis.

2. You seem to assume that all forms of capitalism are alike e.g. in response to disaster - which is demonstrably false. I am pretty sure that, say Japanese capitalism would have a much different (and more effective imho) response to disaster than US capitalism, because the US adopted a particularly poisonous set of public policies aka neoliberalism, which other countries did not adopt at all or adopted to a lesser extent.

3. You seem to assume that global warming is uniquely a capitalist byproduct - which again is demonstrably false. China and Russia contribute more than a fair share to the process.

Wojtek