[lbo-talk] Rita, evacuations, perspectives

ThatRogersWoman debburz at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 11:19:58 PDT 2005

I strongly recommend the Houston Chronicle's SciGuy blog for some well-informed comments, speculations and information regarding the evac process here, what the storm is expected to do and where things have gone right or wrong, as well as some first-person anecdotal stories coming out and other links. Thig guy's blog was very accurate and informational during Katrina, and it's been equally on point so far with Rita. His latest posts and links are focusing on evac problems.

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/

There is one opinion there from another poster who blames some of the evac disaster on "Katrina+the media", a theory worth considering. I do not believe it was the sole contribution, but I do think, from what we've seen, that there was a heightened sense of a desire to evac from persons in places that previously would not have been so bent on leaving, e.g., folks in the far western areas of Harris County and such, as well as some people who just didn't want to be left without electricity out of convenience or business. I'm sure there's something to that to some degree, as I know attorneys that left for that reason who had ample shelter opportunties in town, very safe locations or well-built Ft.Knox like abodes, but they left to go to Austin (every rich person's favorite party town here) or Dallas. A lot of upper to middle class folks left and took all of their vehicles, in caravans, further creating gridlock and needs for gas.

I can't second guess or judge anyone who really felt a need to evac. I had thoughts about it myself, and it has taken a lot of planning and thought to make a decision, a decision stressed and maxed out every time a weather forecaster has had a doubt about a wobble in the eye of the storm. Was there a sense of panic fostered by the media? Well, for some people, sure. Some people are going to react that way regardless. To what degree the media may or may not have contributed, I don't think any of us can know yet. The post-Katrina fear factor is a definite contributor, because had there not been a Katrina, all the rumblings in the world about what a Cat 4-5 'cane could do to Houston-Galveston would have been just so much speculation to the hardened oldtimers and inexperienced newest inhabitants.

As I've said before, we'll have to see what happens.

- Deborah