[lbo-talk] DC

ravi listmail at kreise.org
Fri Sep 23 13:26:14 PDT 2005

Just the other day (23/9/05 4:01 pm), Charles Brown opined:
> Since the anti-war groups are doing such a bad job, why don't some of the
> expert organizers on this list organize a better anti-war movement ,instead
> of sitting around declaring that the Sept. 24 demo is just a bunch of sour
> grapes ?

what, you got to be crazy! that's too much work... the whining is so much easier ;-).

ok, now that i have demonstrated sufficient self-deprecation, how do you define "better"? as someone (michael pollak?) pointed out, effectiveness probably cannot be a measure. turnout? lack of violence and rioting? fundraising?

i am not being facetious... i want to know why it seems impossible to energize liberals in the USA. (not counting lbo member gary?) none of my friends, zero, zip, not even one, is even interested in considering going to DC (or any other rally). almost all of them would identify themselves as liberal or further left. why is there so little interest among the public for any sort of activism? is it because, as michael pollak writes, these people realize these actions are useless?

what other options are there? for the last 5 years i have been trying to find some way to be of use to my community. i have written to local schools, the NAACP and UNCF, and other organizations, suggesting that i could help tutor underprivileged children in math and computer science (and any other subjects they may find me qualified in), help maintain their computing environment or help them build one, etc, etc. not one of them has even taken the trouble to respond!

i know i am meandering, but now that i have gone down this path, anyone have any recommendations/contacts for volunteering for such things? (i did find a web page, i forget the address, which listed such organizations close to me. there were three or four and all of them were strongly religious).

--ravi

-- If you wish to contact me, you will get my attention faster by substituting "r" for "listmail" in my email address. Thank you!