[lbo-talk] DC

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 23 14:15:48 PDT 2005

ravi wrote:

> i am not being facetious... i want to know why it seems impossible to
> energize liberals in the USA.

It isn't impossible. It's difficult. Why should it be easy? Why should the ordinary liberal -- man/woman on the street or in the next cubicle -- get all excited just because we are? I don't quite understand how it works, but most people won't get "energized" until they see a lot of others getting energized. (I suppose you can label it a matter of quantity becoming quality, but that is merely a label rather than an explanation.) And quite a few, apparently, _are_ getting energized currently. Our group here made no plans to send anyone to D.C., but all of a sudden we have about five women going, and we had to rustle around to find bus transportation for two of them from central Illinois. And we planned only a nominal local demo downtown for tomorrow, and it's suddenly growing on us! We've also suddenly got a few hundred dollars in unsolicited donations. Things are perking a bit.

But what bothers me is not the inactive liberals but the inactive radicals. There are four or five people on this list that (guessing from the tone and content of their posts) could very possibly make a difference down the road if they would commit themselves to local organizing _and_ break their longing for a "real" DP.

This is where the Deans & Wellstones et cetera serve the ruling class so wonderfully, by keeping alive this wishful thinking among so many radicals (and so many marxists) that somehow the DP might do good things, like raise the minimum wage 2% after prices have gone up 4%, and appoint a judge who will keep the empty shell of RoevsWade alive a few more years (and postpone the emergence of a movement to make abortion a _real_ choice for more women).

Carrol