[lbo-talk] DC

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Fri Sep 23 14:24:21 PDT 2005

How many mass mobilizations have happened in the past two years?

Two, three?

How much media publicity did those events get?

Very little.

The anti-war movement has been off the radar since the Iraq War started. It hasn't had any effect on public opinion. On the other hand, Cindy Sheehan has managed to become a household word overnight, which has the right wingers foaming at the mouth. But most Americans who have shifted their opinion on the war have done so because of factors that have nothing to do with antiwar activism.

...The other anti-war movements are doing some more inspirational stuff, such as the counter-recruitment work, but they remain pretty marginal too...

Chuck0

^^^^^^^

In Detroit, there isn't quite as much of a separation between the people building for the DC demo and those doing counter-recruitment work and those who organized the 21 day CampCaseyDetroit. CampCaseyDetroit was also the location of the demos against the failure to protect New Orleans' poor. Michigan Emergency Committee Against War and Injustice does ongoing anti-war work, even when not organizing demos. I don't see how one can be sure that that hasn't influenced public opinion on the war. I don't see any use in acting like Cindy Sheehan is separate from the already existing peace efforts. In fact, she sounds like a commie to me, from the articles she rights. She doesn't just talk about the war.

Radical struggle can be pretty thankless, slow, lots of meetings with about 8 people. And in the end, the revolution may not come before you die. Lenin never promised us a rose garden.

The struggle continues; victory is certain.

Charles