[lbo-talk] DC

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 23 15:39:31 PDT 2005

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>>

>> And, more broadly, why are the Dems such pussies on the war?
>> Withdrawal is becoming a majority position now, and they're still
>> afraid of saying anything?
>
>They aren't cowards. They simply believe in the policies being followed,
>though they would like to see them carried out more efficiently.
>
>Why don't you believe what the DP leaders say they want: More troops in
>Iraq!
>
>Claims that they are cowards have no evidence to back them up.

The only question about this post of yours was how long it was going to take to show up.

You could make the argument that invading Iraq is bad imperialism. It has done more damage to US power, image, confidence, and even security than could ever be gained by "victory." So even loyal imperialists could be more openly critical of the policy.

But the Democratic Party isn't a monolith. There are - though I'm sure you'll disagree - some quarter- to half-decent people who sail under its flag. Just picking a number out of the air, there are probably about 50 or 75 Dem members of the House who aren't evil. Even they have been strangely quiet.

Doug