[lbo-talk] Indian food [was: Hey Mr. bitter expat

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 23 17:34:25 PDT 2005

On 23 Sep 2005 at 12:25, ravi wrote:

> southern tastes = bland? why would you say that? in most regions, the
> more south you go, typically, the spicier the food: i believe the
> southern indian state of andhra pradesh holds the record for some of the
> spiciest foods consumed. similarly, texas is famous for its spicy chili
> sauces and such. the mexicans (and central americans?) seem to like what
> i believe is hottest pepper: habanero? as for china, from my little
> knowledge of it, south/soutcentral-west china, the sichuan region, is
> famous for its spicy food, yes?

Mexican food is not terribly spicy. What is frequently referred to as Southwestern cuisine is generally hotter. Other than at a border town where restaurants cater to US tastes you won't find much heat in Mexican fare. Habaneros are not to be found in traditional Mexican cooking. The best Cabrito I ever had was in Monterrey and, while not hot, it is well seasoned and worth trying if you get the chance.

> Barbecue? As someone opined, cooks cover their mistakes with ketchup or
> gravy.
>
> Wojtek

You are mistaking barbecue sauce for barbecue. True barbecue is a meat covered with a dry rub and slow cooked over indirect heat. 5 to 12 hours cooking time depending on a few factors. True barbecue is a delight. It certainly isn't complicated or sophisticated fare but it is damn good when done correctly. Appleby's rib basket has nothing to do with real barbecue.

John Thornton