[lbo-talk] DC

Sean Johnson Andrews inciteinsight at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 23 17:58:19 PDT 2005

Dennis K is at the Green Festival, also in DC tomorrow.

I've tried to follow the discussion here about how vacuuous the marches are because of who's organizing them. Reminded me of this piece in the Nation last week:

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050926/robin

I don't know quite enough about the intercenine battles being fought here, but I do know that I have heard from a few friends who I didn't even know were active that they were coming down on buses from New York. I'll also mention that, listening to the local media in DC and even NPR this morning, there was much discussion of the marches, more than I remember for the past few marches.

They may not be perfect, but what are we supposed to do, wait until someone else is in charge? The only people who really care who the organizers are are the people on the far left and far right who (obviously) won't be swayed anyway. And as for the laughable speeches they give at those marches, I rarely see anyone listening; most are just milling about waiting to march looking at the literature from the various other groups that have tables set up around the march. I don't know how those groups got their tables, but if someone were interested in informing them of other types of leftish activism, that might be a good place to start. I'm new to this though...

I would also mention that ANSWER isn't the only group organizing for tomorrow. In fact,I think the day was originally chosen by a local group called Mobilization for Global Justice, a group that usually organizes marches in Sept. around the IMF/World Bank meetings, which are also this weekend. That's where I heard about the marches first.

Anyway, I'll be there.

-s