[lbo-talk] DC

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 09:05:46 PDT 2005

--- Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org> wrote:
> The purpose should be to change
> government policy or mobilzie
> the public. The protest today is another failure in
> a long line of
> failures that the mainstream peace movement has
> inflicted on us.

Well, IMHO, each one can claim what the goal of a demonstration SHOULD BE. But the question is what do these large demonstrations actually serve. They do not DIRECTLY affect govt change usually. They are a kind of ritual that boosts morale and allows activists to educate each other...probably more on the bus ride than listening to the speakers. People then go home and take action (action could be just talking with friends and neighbors).

I think from that point of view and that perhaps less ambitious goal, these demonstrations are succesfull. In any case, how could you gauge whether a demonstration had a direct impact on govt?

I have disparaged the speaker list at these demonstrations (and will continue to do so as long as they are this dismal) but I have changed my mind as to how effective they are...They probably are more effective than we imagine but maybe in a different way than we imagine.