[lbo-talk] Question for Wojtek

Willy Greenfields filthydirtyunwashed at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 25 19:10:08 PDT 2005

Chris asked a question of Wojtek, which I hope he doesn't mind me responding to:

>Damn, the anti-Russian animus in the Polish media
>seems to have been kicking into overdrive latly
>(comparing Russians with Nazis, etc.).

I think a lot of this is them playing to (a quite real) anti-Russian bias. Recall recent events such as the spat between Lukashenko and the 'union of Poles in Belarus' (dunno what this is called in English), the attack on those Russian diplomats' kids by Warsaw hooligans, etc. It's amazing the traction those two stories, for instance, had in Poland.

There was of course an election the other day.

Many think it's an opportunistic exploitation of (what were once) real fears for political gain.