[lbo-talk] DC

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Sep 26 07:11:50 PDT 2005

Bryan:
> God knows it ain't worth going to that demo tonight...they're fascists
> and it won't matter anyway if I do go.

Where does that conclusion come from? I said that if a social movement wants to be successful it needs to follow the right strategy which involves taking advantage of a window of opportunity when it opens, and joining the establishment (or "working within," if you will) instead of maintaining its countercultural contumacy and contrarian rhetoric. Some - usually those who miss the boat - call it "selling out" - which may or may not be the case. The essence of politics is compromise - so settling for as much as can be won under the circumstances is not a sellout. On the other hand, not seeking a compromise to maintain ideological purity of the self-styled gurus is betraying the movement.

Wojtek