[lbo-talk] DC: Costs of big marches

Sean Johnson Andrews inciteinsight at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 26 11:54:53 PDT 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski"

> demonstration today is an empty threat because those who demonstrate
> cannot
> do what the industrial working class of the pervious era could - shut down
> the production and kick the capitalist class in their balls i.e. their
> wallets. The capitalist class knows darn well that all those who
> demonstrate in DC can do is to go home, bitch about the government,
> perhaps
> send a small donation to an organization of their choice and vote on
> someone
> else than the current asshole in DC, and if they are really pissed - smash
> few windows and burn a few cars.

So how do you explain the civil rights movement and those marches? These were an organized set of people that supposedly had very little effect on the capitalist class--and didn't have voting rights either. Maybe I'm just romanticizing, but it seems that a march can have some effect even if it isn't along class lines, though I don't really know how. It seems there is a space where ideology and ruling class interests don't necessarily correspond.

-s