[lbo-talk] DC: Costs of big marches

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Sep 26 15:13:46 PDT 2005

Steven L. Robinson wrote:

>So you have activists sitting down on a sidewalk and get arrested?

As I remember my undergrad constitutional law course, taught by the reactionary Alexander Bickel, civil disobedience makes the most sense when you're violating a bad law itself. Getting arrested to protest something else is much less effective. I gotta say, I don't see how effective it would be to get arrested sitting in front of the White House. All you do is spend a few hours in jail and the war machine moves on. Am I missing something?

Doug