[lbo-talk] Liberal imperialism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Sep 27 08:30:05 PDT 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Charles Brown wrote:
>
> >There is probable cause to believe that American "left" liberals
> >organizing against Chinese labor abuses are aiding U.S. imperialism.
>
> U.S. imperialism is ambivalent on China, isn't it? Where would we be
> without cheap Chinese manufactured goods and the People's Bank of
> China's purchase of Treasury paper?
>
> I'm not going to defend Chinese labor practices, but a lot of the
> critics act as if they're unaware of a long history in this country
> of Yellow Perilism. It can get creepy.

That history is key. Whatever one thinks of contemporary China*, anti-China agitation is almost certain to be grounded in racism.

Carrol

*The predominant view among marxist analyses of China seems to be that China has "changed its color," and if so then according to Mao, it has become an enemy of the world's people. Or so he once predicted would be the case. This doesn't affect however seeing the racist element in u.s. reactions to China. And though China is certainly no longer communist, it is still seen to be so in the popular mind, hence there is also a taint of red-baiting in anti-China politics.