[lbo-talk] Liberal imperialism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Sep 27 13:13:53 PDT 2005

Charles Brown wrote:

> CB: But there hasn't been an explosion of attacks on ANSWER's role in the
> anti-war movement in the wake of Saturday's rallies. Just a few people who
> sound like they are sort of envious of ANSWER's obvious success in
> organizing such a big rally. My guess is that there have been fewer attacks
> than usual on ANSWER after Saturday.

Among the majority of marxists, I would guess, there is a double-reaction: a) Attack attacks on ANSWER that come from those who oppose both marxism _and_ mass movements of any kind, or who are hysterically anti-communist, but b) _within_ that framework go on discussing how alternatives to the sectarian practice of ANSWER may be built.

I don't see the grounds for arguing with Nathan. Debate presupposes _some_ major premises in common, and in the present case the relevant major premise is the necessity of building a mass movement independent of the DP. Nathan rejects that premise, so arguing with him is pointless. Save your breath to cool your porridge.

Carrol