[lbo-talk] Liberal imperialism

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Sep 27 20:02:36 PDT 2005

> Couldn't agree more. Why does it bother the Nathan Newmans and Marc
> Coopers so much? It's not like you have to sign a statement of support for
> Kim Jong Il to participate. It's just pure sectarianism in the name of
> anti-sectarianism. And it's crap.
>
> Doug

Yes & no. I agree that for many of the marchers, Brian Becker's crew was utterly irrelevant, which is good. They deserve to be ignored. The only reason I wrote about them on my blog was that I had to sit through a fair number of ANSWER-bots while watching C-SPAN's coverage, and this irritated me, esp when I caught glimpses of those, like actual union leaders, labor activists, and military relatives give their testimony. That was powerful and relevant, and how I wished that the majority of speakers reflected these viewpoints, simply because they would connect with those watching at home. And why not some antiwar libertarians? Why not expand the antiwar base?

The good news is that ANSWER/WWP/IAC/YOUR INITIALS HERE are dying relics. If that rally and march hadn't happened, the majority of Americans would still be against the war. The real antiwar "movement" resides far from the barricades of those whose heads are also stuck in the Cold War.

Dennis