[lbo-talk] Re: DC

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Sep 28 07:44:50 PDT 2005

could you substantiate this conclusion further? what actions on the part of the establishment showed significant change as a result of "seattle"? ravi

They stopped having meetings in easy acccess places and started hiding. Sure other forms of pressure helped. And no there probably was no direct economic effect---except businesses and government just became a lot more cagey.

``and why wouldn't these millions get the same message from DC?''

They probably would.

``I tend to doubt that "seattle" (or "DC") means much..''

Then why did you go? And if you didn't, then why not? See, I tend to think all this noise does help. It may not be much. But it is something. For one thing Bush, Cheney, and most of Congress hightailed it out of town. Okay Cheney was getting stints put in and couldn't be in hiding.

It also helps break up the dominant media message and gives a lot of people who never supported the war or the rest of this bullshit a voice of some kind---because the so-called opposition party sure doesn't.

It's also a hopeful sign that the DC march was joined by some people from New Orleans.

CG