[lbo-talk] religion bad for society

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 28 08:24:51 PDT 2005

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>>>
>>>I've often been struck by how Catholics create serious universities and
>>>important hospitals - what comparable things, aside from Bible colleges,
>>>do American Protestants create?
>>
>>[How about Harvard? It's no Notre Dame, but still ...]
>
>That was over 300 years ago!

And it's still ticking. Of course, somewhere along the way Harvard switched its allegiance from God to mammon, but why quibble? I understand that Ivy League outfit in New Haven whose name always escapes me was originally big in the Protestant God business, too.

BTW, how many new Catholic colleges have been founded in recent years?

Carl