[lbo-talk] Wall Street getting worried about climate change

Mark S bunyak1 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 28 09:09:50 PDT 2005

><http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=washingtonstory&sid=INIY650D9L35#>
>
>Bush Faces Wall Street Pressure on Global Warming (Update1)
>
>By Kim Chipman
>
>Sept. 28 (Bloomberg) -- The deadliest U.S. hurricane season in more than a
>century has some Wall Street investors sounding like members of the Sierra
>Club.

George Monbiot just wrote about the rise of similar sentiment among the British industrial establishment:

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2005/09/20/a-world-turned-upside-down/

A World Turned Upside Down

The corporations are demanding regulation, and the government is refusing to give it to them

By George Monbiot. Published in the Guardian 29th September 2005

Climate change denial has gone through four stages. First the fossil fuel lobbyists told us that global warming was a myth. Then they agreed that it was happening, but insisted it was a good thing: we could grow wine in the Pennines and take Mediterranean holidays in Skegness. Then they admitted that the bad effects outweighed the good ones, but claimed that it would cost more to tackle than to tolerate. Now they have reached stage 4. They concede that it would be cheaper to address than to neglect, but maintain that it’s now too late. This is their most persuasive argument.

_________________________________________________________________ MSN® Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling get-togethers. http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines

Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN® Premium right now and get the first two months FREE*.