[lbo-talk] Lyndie England

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 11:12:49 PDT 2005

On Wednesday, September 28, 2005 10:40 AM [PDT], Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> DH: Let's turn to the images of torture in which
> women feature so prominently. This has been a
> field day for the right who say this is proof
> that we shouldn't have women in the military.
> Some people are expressing broken-heartedness
> over seeing women involved in such cruelty
> because they're essentially good and pure and
> something terrible has happened. How do you sort
> it all out?

It's all true, and Lyndie England is STILL responsible for her actions.

The question I'd pose is to Cynia Enloe is "...where does understanding the situation end, and apologist or co-dependent behavior begin when discussing these issues in relation to the *individual*."

As Marcuse said in another context: "To forget this is to mystify the possibilities of liberation." ... or obfuscate it.

Leigh

"The roots of repression are, and remain real roots; consequently, their eradication remains a real and rational job. What is to be abolished is not the reality principal, not everything, but such particular things as business, politics, exploitation, poverty.

To forget this is to mystify the possibilities of liberation." --Herbert Marcuse