[lbo-talk] Re: religion bad for society

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 28 11:57:33 PDT 2005

Dear List:

Doug writes:

> It's a perfect religion for our brand of survival of
the fittest capitalism. Then, seeking some companionship and comfort amidst the atomism that results, they go to churches that only encourage more of the same. It's a vicious cycle.

But they don't. That is why traditional Protestant congregations are shrinking. People are going toward evangelical and charismatic churches that offer a Christianity that is not in the atomistic tradition.

>From these new churches people receive a
new dogma that doesn't challenge the atomism of capitalism, but does challenge the atomism of Amerian culture. As a result, we get the rise of the Republican Party.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister