[lbo-talk] Lyndie England

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 12:38:30 PDT 2005

On Wednesday, September 28, 2005 11:54 AM [PDT], Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> Leigh Meyers wrote:
>
>> It's all true, and Lyndie England is STILL responsible for her
>> actions.
>
> In a legal sense, yes. But it gives me the creeps how quick you are
> to denounce her with enthusiasm. She was produced by a particular set
> of gender and class relations and then twisted by the military. You
> sound like some hyperindividualist right-winger - which is not
> unrelated to hippiedom, is it?

No... beyond legal "sense" (which legal system?)

...and by this: "You sound like some hyperindividualist right-winger - which is not unrelated to hippiedom, is it?"

You mean as in "pretty little fascists"?

I'm a "hypercommunalist", not a "hyperindividualist". Lyndie England, among MANY MANY others, have endangered our society, community and more, in ways too numerous to count, and ostracism is one of the gentler tools used historically to counter that.

HumVees represent "Hyperindividualism"... The person telling the person driving the HumVee that they're fucking up the planet is not commiting that "sin". I think you have it backwards.

"How many Iraqis per mile is that SUV getting?" is a form of ostracism that many folks have taken to using in *that* war.

I just feel, at a lot of levels, that "procrastination time" is over if US society, and by unfortunate extention, much of the world hopes to continue to towards any socially progressive goals, and making Lyndie England some sort of "poster child" for societal abuse doesn't cut it. By the standards you are using, we're all victims... and we are, sooooooo, what then?

...and that "enthusiasm" isn't mine. A projection perhaps?

Leigh www.leighm.net

Have you seen my newsfeeds?: http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/ Got RSS?: http://www.furl.net/members/leighm/rss.xml