[lbo-talk] Lyndie England

Abe Initio abe.initio at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 19:19:47 PDT 2005

At 03:48 PM 9/28/2005, Gary? wrote:
>even if she was bright intelligent and fully complicit in this she
>would still be the scapegoat the real villains are hiding behind.
>and I doubt that if Leigh were in the same situation the outcome would
>have been any different.
>
>Gary?
>ride si sapis

sure it was possible. the guy who ratted them all out is proof of that. but you can explain his actions in terms of social structure as well. the problem is, y'all need to understand the difference between the concepts "the individual," "individualism," and "individuation."

as one of my old mentors once said, he studied sociology, not to understand why everyone acted the same under similar conditions, but rather why people didn't act the same.

same old same old false dichotomies.

that said, i agree that there's no reason to harshly denounce this woman while ignoring the real creeps.

*sign*

anyway, some day i'll explain it all. you see, i can show you in stark details just exactly why the losers in Barbara Ehrenreich's latest deserve their fate. But, I can also show you that it's about social structure and not really about personal moral failing.

Wojtek is right: people are losers because they are losers. but that's because society _needs_ losers.