[lbo-talk] Lyndie England

Michael Hirsch mmh at pipeline.com
Wed Sep 28 20:25:00 PDT 2005

Abe wrote:

>yes, because it reveals that same old same old: taking pleasure in the
>pain of a representative of the working class -- the working class that
>betrayed the movement. i think there is a small faction of lefties who
>feel embarrassed and betrayed by them. they can't figure it out, "_I_ have
>figured it out, I know the real enemy. _I_ don't drive an SUV. _I'm_ not
>warped by this society. But all you masses of people, you can't shake it
>off and, because you can't, you fuck us over."

I'm sure there are people like the ones you describe on the left, who blame the victim or worse, just as I'm sure there are some who think the working class is born pure and remains unsullied. So what? The issue on the table is not which goofy perspective has more crank subscribers; It's--or it should be-- how to ensure justice is meted out to every Abu Ghraib torturers while also ensuring that the Englands (like the Calleys and the Edgar Ray Killenses before them) are not treated as beards for the elites who make and benefit from homicidal policies. Can we focus, comrades?

Mike Hirsch