[lbo-talk] Re: losers [ was: Lyndie England

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 29 13:38:03 PDT 2005

John:

> The question, as I understood it, was concerning punishment. If you
believe that the
> privileged have a
> greater probability of deviating from what we claim to be acceptable
social norms of
> behaviour then unless
> the rates of punishments are equally skewed I don't see how you can be
that concerned with
> enforcing
> behaviour on the less privileged.

Why the fuck don't you guys read what those with whom you argue actually write? I specifically wrote that I am NOT concerned with enforcing behavior of the less privileged, certainly not more than with enforcing the same of the more privileged. What I am concerned with is the efforts of some contributors to this list who, as I see it, are trying to exonerate criminal behavior solely based on the perp's class status. I think this is quite silly, disingenuous, and inconsequential - so I am not losing much sleep over such efforts. What irks me is the stubborn adherence to the old trite party lines and not making the slightest effort to consider alternative view points by people who should know better.

Wojtek