[lbo-talk] corps & single-payer

Michael Hirsch mmh at pipeline.com
Thu Sep 29 20:36:43 PDT 2005

Jenny:

I appreciate your thoughtful comments, and I will chew on them. Especially the idea that portable health insurance makes workers more mobile and potentially more militant. A fair point. Do I then agree? Not in the main, but it's a pleasure to have this discussion. Insisting on the correct point of view on something this fertile seems impertinent.

One point: When you write: >>" I disagree that the US labor force was always this "disciplined." In the
>70's it was famously slack, uninterested in pleasing the employer,
>and strike-prone. It was a golden age by comparison."<<

Only for the first few years of the decade, only episodically, only in some industries and only for younger, largely male and single workers. Those glory days--when Lordstown was the poster child for a new militancy, came to a grand, gear-stripping halt with the oil crisis and the ensuing layoffs. These took the steam out of that healthy bubbling militancy you ascribe to everybody and for the entire decade. By 1975, work hours lost in strikes and job actions were reaching a low ebb. Within two more years the UAW;s Doug Fraser was talking about capital launching a one-sided class war, this while he was sitting on the board of Chrysler. 1977 was also the beginning of the end for full employment in the steel industry, with Youngstown and Cleveland leading the pack. Even by comparison, the decade was no golden age.

Beyond counting work days lost to strikes, I can't think of an objective yardstick that measures relative discipline over the last 30 years, but subjectively the days when fear was not the spur that got people to work and kept them at work seems to me to have been few. You could be right that today's workers are more regimented, but what strikes me are the grim continuities, of how little has changed in working class lives.

Mike Hirsch