[lbo-talk] losers [ was: Lyndie England

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Sep 30 08:01:21 PDT 2005

Anonymous:

> finally, if wojtek would like to take a shot at explaining to my face
> exactly why i'm looking at going to a shelter in order to survive or why
> some people on this list go to free food banks to survive, he'll be worth
> reading. until then, as he hides behind his claims about not wanting to
> hurt people's feeling, he's windbag. because, in fact, he hurts feelings
> here every single time he spouts off with his useless b.s.

First, I am not hiding, unlike you I am signing my real name under everything I write.

Second, the concept of blame does not enter my consciousness in any form, therefore blaming anyone, be it the victim, the perpetrator, or anyone in between is a pretty meaningless exercise for me. If I were to succinctly describe my concept of justice I would use the word "retributivist" i.e. "you break the law, you suffer the consequences that the law prescribes, your excuses if any notwithstanding" (Justin can probably provide a more eloquent description). That is why I am bored to tears by all the bleeding heart whining to selectively excuse delinquency (our thugs are excused, their thugs are guilty as charged). Not that I think such whining matters - but I am simply bored with it to the point that it starts annoying me, like a bad movie or a poorly written book. I guess I spend too much time on this list.

Finally, I do not know why individuals do what they do unless I know them or their life stories, so I have no faintest ideas why you are living in a shelter. However, I would be very much interested to hear why a person who has enough wits and determination to eloquently post long winded diatribes to an obscure disgruntled intellectual list cannot make $1,500 a month to pay the rent and buy food. I am all ears.

Wojtek