[lbo-talk] losers [ was: Lyndie England

tfast at yorku.ca tfast at yorku.ca
Fri Sep 30 12:46:06 PDT 2005

Quoting Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu>:

> > If you look at the numbers on who ends up where in the income hierachy,
> the
> > biggest predictor is where you started out. End of story. Programmers and
>

> If that were the whole story - which I do not think it is, since one of the
> biggest predictor of income in industry in which the person is employed -
> one would not have to be a moralistic prick to draw an obvious conclusion
> that this calls for better parenting practices i.e. watching after your kids
> and making sure that they get what it takes to have a better start instead
> of, say, watching tee-vee, shooting drugs, and chasing after new
> girlfriends/boyfriends.

No you would not have to be a moralistic prick just compositionally challenged. If every family changed its parenting to ensure that their children were brought up "right" all that would happen is that lower tiered jobs would be filled by better educated and mannered workers. Are you now going to argue that the characterisitics of workers determines the type of employment on offer?

Travis