[lbo-talk] losers [ was: Lyndie England

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Sep 30 12:51:34 PDT 2005

Wojtek wrote:
>...The law says what it says and should be obeyed because it is the
>law of >the land...

Justin, I'm sure would disagree, since he thinks that the law is *not* what the law says but what *judges* say it says. In any event, since he, you, or I are just as able as any judge to read what the Constitution, the *supreme* law of the land, says, our civic duty (as distinct from our prudent self-interest) to obey the law is restricted to those purported laws that, in our conscientious judgment, do not violate Constitutional provisions (such as that against *cruel* punishment-8th Amendment) nor infringe on Constitutionally guaranteed rights (such as the right to privacy-4th and 9th Amendments).

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)