[lbo-talk] Kos on Marches

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Sep 30 14:22:00 PDT 2005

Chuck0 wrote:
>Contrast the political accomplishments of the anti-globalization movement

-And these are...?

Hmm...let's see

** Wrecking the start of the Seattle round of global WTO negotiations.

** Putting the scumsucking actions of the pharaceutical industry up to the light and helping force them to negotiate lower prices for the third world.

** Putting debt relief on the international agenda culminating in the past month or so agreements on debt cancellations.

** Building new solidarity between environmentalists, labor unions and community groups in the US and around the world.

By any perspective, almost the only serious global gains for progressivism in the last few years have been intimately tied to that global justice movement.

The funny thing is that Chuck and I disagree massively (and sometimes violently) on which tactics are worth using and are effective, but where we almost always agree is that the goal is to exercise power, not just put on a show that the politicians easily ignore. Which is why we've both been far more favorable towards the global justice movement with its clearer approach to targetting power-- whether civil disobediance or mainstream concerts.

-- Nathan Newman