[lbo-talk] NYT on French unions

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sat Apr 1 06:25:53 PST 2006

On Apr 1, 2006, at 8:04 AM, Nathan Newman wrote:

> From: "Jim Devine" <jdevine03 at gmail.com>

> -Now if the AFL or C2W were to buy Pacifica, they'd probably have to do
> -a lot of top-40 programming (though these days, it's top-30) and the
> -like. But they could at least put a pro-labor spin on the news, which
> -would help.

> What made the latino media promotion of the rallies work is that it was
> inserted into the middle of largely non-political daily fare, something
> that's hard to replicate on a day-to-day basis on many other issues:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/01/us/01dj.html

This is exactly why I was so unhappy with the smashing of KPFT in Houston. They had an actual listenership, since they didn't run boring, self-serving, I'm-a-host-so-I-can-talk show after show.

If I'd been given the keys to the station, I'd've had them do exactly what they were doing with music programming (lots of it), but larded with PSA after PSA and lots of talk. That would have an impact. Rebroadcasting (as they do now) other people's horseshit from other Pacifica stations is the stink o'death.

I realize there was a small number of music programmers (weekend programs, mostly) who didn't want to go along with that program. Firing them in the context of keeping music programming but adding political content was doable. Near as I can tell, most all of those programmers are still there.