[lbo-talk] happiness pays?

Josh Narins josh at narins.net
Sat Apr 1 10:50:37 PST 2006

Shorter "Happiness Pays?"

Ignorance is Bliss.

And...

"Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty\u2014power is ever stealing from the many to the few... . The hand entrusted with power becomes

... the necessary enemy of the people. Only by continual oversight can the democrat in office be prevented from hardening into a despot: only by unintermitted Agitation can a people be kept sufficiently awake to principle not to let liberty be smothered in material prosperity."

And if there was no tension, life would be boring.

And boring life would result in vapid art.

So, was it really the Beatniks, who mocked the conformity and uniformity of post-WWII America, that were the problem?

Do you want to be square?