[lbo-talk] Chomsky: Israel Lobby ?

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 1 11:50:48 PST 2006

I think it was part of the Bolshevik understanding of nationality, which was a typically naive 19th century one -- one people, one place, one language, one culture. Borobidjan is not in a fantastic location, but remember that making a "Jewish state" in the USSR in a populous area would have required ethnic cleansing. Borobidjan (which has about a 5% Jewish population today, though there is a cool-looking giant menorah outside the train station) was at the time sparsely populated by Cossacks and the native people, the name of which I don't remember.

The guard at my local bar has a Kuban Cossack for a father and a Don Cossack for a mother. He likes to talk about the Soviet "genocide of the Cossacks."* At the same time he's a fan of Stalin, who helped carry out the genocide. I can't figure this out.

*It really was harsh. Medvedev describes the partial annihilation of the Don Cossack Host as a great crime of the Soviet regime. The Cossacks were the first people in the USSR to be forcibly deported. About 19,000 were murdered in 1919. The Bolsheviks incorrectly believed them to be inherently Whites, when in fact most were either neutral, wanted an independent state, or supported the Reds. Actually the more I dig into Cossack history the more I dislike the Bolsheviks. They were kind of like the neocons, forcing reality to fit their ideology.