[lbo-talk] What's the Matter with New York City?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Apr 3 12:10:02 PDT 2006

Paul mentioned April 29:

> People should be aware that the hoped for "big" NYC anti-war
> demonstration (UFPJ core organizer) is scheduled for Saturday April
> 29th (more reliable weather at that time).

Yesterday, the topic of the April 29 NYC demo came up at the local antiwar meeting yesterday, but everybody seemed too tired to organize a bus to NYC after the mobilization on March 18, so we decided not to do so. Some individuals may still get there. But, then again, April 10 is the national day of action for immigrant rights, too, and May 6 is a rally for universal health care in Ohio.

Chuck wrote:

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
> > What's the matter with New York City?
>
> I think the answers are quite simple, based on my experience in
> Washington, DC which is roughly analogous.
>
> 1) Burnout - NYC, like D.C., has a constant schedule of protests on a
> variety of issues. I remember that in D.C., there was always some kind
> of protest going on just about every day. Even if you just went to the
> national anti-war demonstrations every 4-6 months, you'll
> eventually get
> tired of doing the same old thing. It got to the point for me where
> I'd
> go to ANSWER demos just to socialize with out-of-town friends.
>
> One thing I don't miss about Washington, DC is the constant
> schedule of
> boring protests. I feel like I'm doing much better political work in
> Kansas City than I was in Washington, DC.

In my opinion, NYC (if not DC) should be able to regularly turn out 100,000 or so New Yorkers once in several months (if not matching Paris in protest prowess), without counting on us hauling our tired asses from Columbus, Kansas City, and the like. 8 million people live in NYC, after all.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>