[lbo-talk] What's the Matter with New York City?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 3 13:16:33 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> We're Americans too. We don't do mass demos very often.

It would seem that the only people who always remember that demos do make a difference are the French. One of the tasks of leftists in the u.s. is to defeat the "back to the drawing board" syndrome amongst americans, many of whom seem to believe that if one tries a tactic once or twice and it doesn't produce immediate visible results, it's time to look for new tactics. The trouble is, of course, that for mass political movements the number of available tactics at various stages are quite limited, and that demos are what bind _all_ tactics together over time. This hasn't changed for two hundred years. It won't change.

Carrol