[lbo-talk] Brad DeLong's dubious view of layoff restrictions

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 3 14:42:11 PDT 2006

> Jerry Monaco wrote:
>
> >Isn't unemployment simply counted better in places like France and
> >German than the U.S.?
>
> No. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics computes unemployment rates
> using definitions comparable to the U.S. The most recent figures
> available, from mid-2005:
>
> Australia 5.0
> Canada 6.0
> France 9.7
> Germany 9.4
> Italy 7.8
> Japan 4.4
> Sweden 6.3
> UK 4.7
> US 5.0
>
> The OECD does a similar thing, with similar results.
>
> Doug

I was always under the impression that US unemployment counted the rolls of those receiving unemployment checks while the EU counted something different. When you stop receiving your check you were no longer counted even if you still have not found work. This is not true? The US counts as unemployed people who have used up their unemployment insurance yet have not found work?

John Thornton