[lbo-talk] NYT on French unions

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Apr 3 15:22:24 PDT 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Nathan Newman wrote:
>
>> No, media control was not the key issue, or else Pacifica could be
>> calling
>> out mass rallies in New York, LA, New York, DC and San Francisco every
>> weekend.
>

> According to Arbitron, WBAI has an AQH - listenership in the average
> quarter hour between 6 AM and midnight - of less than 8,000. We ain't
> gonna be calling out no mass demos on that. KPFA is a bit better - not
> quite 10,000.
>
> It really hurts to type those numbers.

Where did you get those numbers? I'd be curious to look up the ratings of our station here in Kansas City.

Frankly, I think progrssives like Nathan would be better off donating money to good independent media projects instead of bullshit like Moveon.org.

"Hey Moveon staff. We have $250,000 to play with. What should we do with this money? I know, let's spend it all on one TV ad."

Meanwhile, a hundred indie media projects struggle because resources are being squandered on crap like Moveon.

If progressives want to reach more people through independent media, they need to create and support compelling content. This means supporting solid projects like Democracy Now and trashing all of the boring talking heads at local stations. Kick the 9/11 conspiracy nuts out the door and get rid of all of the politically correct bullshit.

Chuck