[lbo-talk] ruling class

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Mon Apr 3 18:03:07 PDT 2006

At 1:14 PM -0400 3/4/06, Doug Henwood wrote:

>There's this great little thing called Google. Enter "IRV" in its
>query box and you'll learn all you'd like about instant runoff
>voting.
>
>Should people define words you might not know too? Or just stick
>with the 850 words of Basic English?

"IRV" is not a word, its an acronym. Sure, I could look it up in a few minutes. Everyone reading the message could do that. There are hundreds of people on the list, we could all spend a few minutes every time some lazy bastard couldn't be bothered taking five seconds to spell out the words and instead decided to encrypt an already an obscure American English term into a three-letter code.

Or, as a matter of common courtesy, the writer could take the trouble to write it properly in the first place.

Mind you, ME lecturing others in common courtesy, is a bit bizarre. I have to admit that I was a bit testy about it. I'm getting a bit cranky in my old age, I apologise for that.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas