[lbo-talk] Slavoj Zizek: The Philanthropic Enemy

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Apr 4 10:06:17 PDT 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>
>Why? Is there a prescription here? Should all non-profits refuse all
>Ford,
>Carnegie and other "toxic waste derived" money? Should folks working on
>AIDS work in Africa refuse Gates money? Should drug reform, workers
>rights
>and public finance campaign folks refuse Soros money?

-I may be high-principled, but I'm not insane. I think these beneficiaries -should heed the wise words of philosopher Henny Youngman and nem di gelt. -They should then badmouth their patrons behind their back.

So what should recipients then say about Soros' financial speculation that he has not said himself?

I actually have sympathy for the idea that foundation money corrupts the progressive movement, encouraging a dance to the whims of funders desires rather than grassroots needs. But then that problem is the conventional wisdom among many on the left, including among funders -- so what other bad mouthing do you want?

Bottom line-- if you think taking the money is better than not taking the money, why shouldn't a person be thanked for giving it to the progressive side rather than to the rightwing movement?

Nathan