[lbo-talk] Slavoj Zizek: The Philanthropic Enemy

info at pulpculture.org info at pulpculture.org
Tue Apr 4 10:45:12 PDT 2006

At 01:15 PM 4/4/2006, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Nathan Newman wrote:
>
>>Why? Is there a prescription here? Should all non-profits refuse all Ford,
>>Carnegie and other "toxic waste derived" money? Should folks working on
>>AIDS work in Africa refuse Gates money? Should drug reform, workers rights
>>and public finance campaign folks refuse Soros money?
>
>No, but there's no denying that the dependence of so many activist groups
>on foundation funding has a conservatizing and fragmenting effect - and
>one that leads to loyalty to program officers before loyalty to constituents.
>
>Doug

Oh. just because I know how much you and Carl 'enjoy' Emerson:

"It is not the office of a man to receive gifts. How dare you give them? We wish to be self-sustained. We do not quite forgive a giver. The hand that feeds us is in some danger of being bitten. We can receive anything from love, for that is a way of receiving it from ourselves; but not from any one who assumes to bestow."

http://www.rwe.org/works/Essays-2nd_Series_5_Gifts.htm

In the literature on how white people should deal with their role as activists against racial oppression, there is an injunction that you should never expect thanks for the people you're helping. Because you're not helping, not if you really understand that your liberation is bound up with the liberation of everyone else. It's not "helping", it's doing your job and it's the only thing to do if you really get why this kind of work is necessary and fundamental to radical social change. Expecting thanks -- which isn't what Soros is up to, I don't think, but I don't follow the guy -- is really not the point. Hence, I think it's a little odd that Nathan is *ahem* encouraging people to kiss this guy's ass.

Speaking of which, we've been having some interesting discussions on the topic.

And no, Nathan, I'm not saying that people shouldn't accept the money and carry on. Like Carl, I'm not insane. It's kind of silly to assume that's what people are saying. However, I do think discussing these issues are important since, by being cognizant of the tendencies Doug speaks to, we can resist them, catch ourselves doing them, and try to avoid getting caught up in a situation that makes it all worse.

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org