[lbo-talk] Slavoj Zizek: The Philanthropic Enemy

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Apr 4 12:19:08 PDT 2006

Wojtek wrote:

> > No, but there's no denying that the dependence of so many
> > activist groups on foundation funding has a conservatizing
> > and fragmenting effect - and one that leads to loyalty to
> > program officers before loyalty to constituents.
> >
> > Doug
>
> What dependence? Private philanthropy - of which foundation money
> is only a
> small part, as most of it is direct individual giving - is a
> negligible part
> of nonprofit finances - on average about 13% in the US and half
> that (about
> 7%) in Europe.
> http://www.jhu.edu/~cnp/compdata.html

Isn't that because the majority of non-profits are in the business of selling health and other services (as you noted in the study you co- authored <http://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/2005/09/art3full.pdf>), revenues coming from fees paid by the government and individuals who receive the services?

I'd hypothesize that the breakdown of revenue sources for non-profit think tanks, non-profit activist groups, etc. differ substantially from the proportions derived from the aggregate data that you mention.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>