[lbo-talk] Slavoj Zizek: The Philanthropic Enemy

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Apr 4 14:39:07 PDT 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:
>I have a broad definition of
>"useful" but it actually never ceases to amaze me how many academics and
>intellectuals report things to one another as breakthroughs in
>understanding
>that are common knowledge among non-intellectuals

-And it never ceases to amaze me how practical sorts report things -that are ancient boneheaded American common sense as if they're -profound insights. E.g., the wisdom of The People, the abstract -stupidity of Intellekshuels. William Jennings Bryan would be proud.

Not really-- I wasn't arguing for the wisdom of abstract "people" over well-engaged intellectuals. I'm more making the Gramscian distinction between organic intellectuals versus intellectuals doing abstract theorizing outside the needs of class struggle.

-- Nathan Newman