[lbo-talk] what this world needs...

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Tue Apr 4 17:38:37 PDT 2006

A little too much bible and flagwaving, but hardly the worst sentiments. It's complaints about taxes aren't about welfare recipients but the wealthy political class:

"And I don't mind payin' taxes But it makes my temper itch When my hard earned money goes To make some politician rich"

It's not even bashing intellectuals per se but just asking for more action to help out working folks. If this was the limit of white working class anger, we'd all be better off, since it leaves off a lot of the scapegoating around race and the very poor.

The Charlie Daniels Band - What This World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks

(Chorus) What this world needs is a few more rednecks Some people ain't afraid to take a stand What this world needs is a little more respect For the Lord and the law and the workin' man We could use a little peace and satisfaction Some good people up front to take the lead A little less talk and a little more action And a few more rednecks is what we need

I was raised on beans and cornbread And I like my chicken fried Yes, I drive a pickup truck And I'm full of American pride I keep a Bible on my table I got a flag out on my lawn And I don't believe in mindin' No one's business but my own

And I love them Rambo movies I think they make a lot of sense And it's a shame ole John Wayne Didn't live to run for president

And I don't care what nobody says I don't trust ole Gorbachev And I don't know who turned him on But it's time to turn him off

(Chorus)

Now they're tryin' to take my guns away And that would be just fine If you take 'em away from the criminals first I'll gladly give ya mine And I don't mind payin' taxes But it makes my temper itch When my hard earned money goes To make some politician rich

What most people call a redneck Ain't nothin' but a workin' man And he makes his livin' By the sweat of his brow And the calluses on his hands Now you intellectuals may not like it But there ain't nothin' that you can do Cause there's a whole lot more of us common-folks Then there ever will be of you

(Chorus)

That's what we need And a few more rednecks is what we need