[lbo-talk] More red state hypocrisy

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 4 20:34:34 PDT 2006

TEXAS, a red/Republican state [as well as my home state], has the highest teen birth rate in the USA:

http://www.feministe.us/blog/archives/2006/04/02/how-texas-got-itself-one-of-the-highest-teen-birthrates-in-the-country/

In other news, "Sex Tourism" is thriving in the Bible Belt:

http://today.reuters.com/misc/PrinterFriendlyPopup.aspx?type=domesticNews&storyID=uri:2006-04-04T140124Z_01_N03210934_RTRUKOC_0_US-CRIME-SEXTOURISM.xml

Also, last night's WIFE SWAP, which my gf urged me onto seeing, was actually pretty cool -- a DALLAS punk family swapped wives with some downright backwards conservative South Carolina family. Very weird. The Dallas "punks" were actually very Christian -- prayed before meals, etc. -- but not good enough for the Carolinians, who wanted full-on conformity to some bizarre ideal in their heads about how families oughta be. At one point it showed the "punk family" at the Red Blood Club, a club I've gone to, etc. Weird. The punk couple did make me think -- "Yep, this is Texas 'punk' alright -- praying before meals before listening to Black Flag." Ugh.

-B.